Slideluck London goes to Format Festival
Posted on Februar 7, 2013 by Julia Schiller
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS:
SLIDELUCK LONDON GOES TO FORMAT FESTIVAL
We are delighted to announce that Slideluck London has been invited to host the closing night of FORMAT International Photography Festival in Derby, on Saturday 6th April, starting at 6pm.
SLIDELUCK (former Slideluck Potshow) is an international non-profit arts organization that aims to build and strengthen community around photography and food. It functions as a platform for exposing photographers, curators, collectors, and editors to new work, in a creative non-commercial environment.
The evening, art directed by Louise Clements (Artistic Director of FORMAT13) and Maria Teresa Salvati (Director of Slideluck London) will take place in a charming Chocolate Factory; and consists of a potluck-style dinner followed by an eclectic programme of slideshows curated by Monica Allende (Photo Editor of The Sunday Times Magazine and founder of the pioneering Spectrum section).
The event will celebrate the conclusion of the FORMAT FESTIVAL, bringing together members of the photography, art and media communities for an evening of eating, drinking, visual storytelling and music featuring a new performance by The Developer.
For the slideshow, Slideluck London are welcoming photographic bodies of work and multimedia submissions on:
- FACTORY and Mass Production - for possible interpretations of the topic see: www.formatfestival.com/theme
- OPEN THEME – ie send us your best work on any subject. For inspiration you can view Slideluck’s previously featured artists at: slideluck.com/artists/
We are expecting a vibrant and provocative selection, presented as two separate collections, both of which will be chosen by guest curator Monica Allende.
We are excited to announce some amazing benefits for those who submit their work:
- On the night of the show, Monica Allende will announce one outstanding work of her choice, to be featured in the Spectrum section of The Sunday Times Magazine.
- We are offering a 3-days Duckrabbit multimedia storytelling workshop to be held in London from the 20th to the 22nd of March ’13. The winner will be notified week commencing the 11th March.
- Blurb will be supporting the event, awarding each applicant a £30 voucher and selecting the best photographic story of the evening rewarding this photographer with a £350 Gift Card to spend at Blurb.com.
- GUP Magazine will also select a few series, providing a high-quality stage and broad audience (online and/or in print) for the artists/photographers.
- A 15% discount on any Viewbook plan. The discount will be applied on a first subscription payment.
About the closing night of FORMAT FESTIVAL:
Host: Slideluck London
Venue: The Chocolate Factory, John St. Derby, DE1 2LX
Tickets: Booking will be live early February online at www.formatfestival.com
- A potluck dinner (bring a dish) and 20+ of the best short photo-films selected by Monica Allende, Photo Editor, Sunday Times Magazine.
- The closing night will premier a live music performance and film from a residency at the historic John Smedley factory, by The Developer. A new commission for the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site as part of FORMAT13 supported by John Smedley and Arts Council England.
About FORMAT International Photography Festival / Theme: FACTORY
8 MARCH – 7 APRIL, Derby
The 6th edition of FORMAT International Photography Festival presents in venues throughout Derby and the region, a selection of the best of emerging international talent showcasing it alongside the masters of photography for audiences to see, debate and engage in. It has quickly established itself as a world-class biennale and must-see event in the photographic calendar. Contributing to and biting at the cutting edge, FORMAT13 promises to be the biggest and most ambitious edition yet.
Curated around the theme of FACTORY, the programme includes: exhibitions, events, portfolio reviews, residencies, workshops, mass participation and much more, online and in the city. Crosscutting genres, the festival theme invites you to explore the global effects and to discover the complex relationship between workers, products and machines, while considering how they impact on our lives today, internationally or at home.
FORMAT is curated by Louise Clements, Artistic Director of QUAD & FORMAT, hosted and organised by QUAD & The University of Derby.
You can submit until the 4th of March 2013, midnight, GMT. Update (on March 5): The deadline for entries has been extended to Saturday, 9th of March 2013!